What does it feel like

McLuhan discusses the notions of time becoming the new space as we “march backwards into the future” (p. 63). I understand it as that all films and videos are some sort of memories from the past, and the artistic choices we make create meanings from those memories, while those meanings are subjective and not temporary, which march the past into the future. To explore this concept, I used footages I shot last term for other documentary projects and found some notes/random sentences I jotted down on my notebook. This film is inspired by a short “conversation” I had with myself, on my way to a meeting. I always have those kinds of conversations with myself, and I believe others might do as well, so I decided to implement “conversation” as the main element of the film. I first alternated the notes I found into a script which will work together with the footages, and created time marks to fit in subtitles. The film is to evoke thinking and self-reflection, as reading or meaning of this film might be different to each individual viewer, and thus to create “meaning of the future”.




          I'd like to include a scene from Tarkovsky's 1975 piece The Mirror, that has a notion of time and space in a way that echos with McLuhan's words.
Marching backwards into the future, or more like marching forward to the past

Comments

  1. The sound was blended nicely and smooth, the music also gave it a gloomy mood which supports your concept. You could hear the wind but it wasn't overwhelming. I enjoyed the subtitles and you showing us your train of thought. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The decision of putting words on the screen gives the film a direct meaning to the audience. The way it talks to me are so straight forward and powerful, which I think you really did a good job on try to pass the information you want to the audience. Even though you said it is really personal, dig deep into your world is really interesting and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts